Hype
The Time Quest Forever

hype the time quest, zelda answer, pc games, medieval, playmobil, lego,playmobil interactive, taskan ,gogoud ,vibe ,knight ,fansite,hype,

The Inn (Forum)

Forum Home > Technical Stuff > Sticky: Hype Under Windows 7 (Updated)

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Hello!
This topic contains info on how to play Hype The Time Quest under Windows 7. 

First of all, you have to discover what is your problem. There are 3 main errors:

1)Can't install the game\run the installer properly.

2)Can install, but can't play the game (crashes during\before\after the movies at the start of the game)

3)Can install, can play,but there are graphical glitches (black artifacts blocking your vision)

...or all of them, if you are lucky as me ;)

1) Can't install the game\run the installer properly.

Reason: This happens mostly in 64-bit systems. It's related to the way the installer was built (16 bit) and, altough it runs fine in 32-bit Systems, it doesn't in 64 because it no longer supports this kind of program.

Solution (or fix): If you have this problem, you won't be able to get the installer to install your game properly at all, and will have to do a manual install. To do this, you must either copy the already installed folders from another install \computer or download them in the Downloads Section of this website. (Here).

2)Can install, but can't play the game (crashes during\before\after the movies at the start of the game)

Reason:The movies that play in the beginning can lead the game to crash, for various reasons (among them, the plugin required to play them is too old\incompatible with your system\hardware or cannot be found)

Solution\Fix: Modify the file in C:\Windows\Ubisoft\ubi.ini 

Find the line 

playvideo=1

And change it to

playvideo=0

It should be located under [Hype - The Time Quest]

Now you can play normally.

3)Can install, can play,but there are graphical glitches (black artifacts blocking your vision)

In this case, it's a problem with your graphic hardware: It's too modern and it can't process info the way the older graphic cards did. In  this case, you have to go for the fix, that is playing using MAIDFXVR_BLEU instead of  MAID3DVR_BLEU.EXE . To do this, you'll need to download a program called Nglide.

After you download and install it, find the file "glide3x.dll" in your "C:\Windows\System32" folder and copy it to Hype's installation directory

(Default is "C:\Ubisoft\Hype - The Time Quest\")

The artifacts should no longer appear.

--

Ha, it's human nature - Zatila

March 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Extra Problems\Solutions\Fixes

This problems are not as common as the ones listed above, and may have more than one reason or solution, so you'll have to test out and see what works for you.

"I've installed nGlide, but the game won't even start. The screen doesn't even go dark. Nothing happens."

Solution A: Try changing the compatibility options. Try them all (including with "Run as Admin" on and off) and see if any of them works...if not

Solution B: Uncheck all the compatibility settings. Download this patch http://hypeforever.webs.com/otherfiles/hype_patch.zip

Extract all the contents in the file to your Hype - The Time Quest installation folder

(Default is C:\Ubisoft\Hype - The Time Quest )

Run the file "PatchInstall.bat" from there (Just double-click it).

You should be able to play Hype with no problems.

If it doesn't work, try to change the comp. settings once again.

"I can't save the game"

This seems to be related to Windows 7 as well. 

If you have problems saving your games or loading then, simply CREATE a folder called Savegame inside the gamedata folder where you installed the game...inside savegame, create 11 folders

HYPE

Savegame0

Savegame1

Savegame2

...until...

Savegame9

And try saving now. If the problem still persists, download one of the Save Games packs on the downloads section and try installing them. Then play normally and save your games over them.

--

March 28, 2013 at 10:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bananapeel

Hey there! I am trying to install hype on my alienware, it runs windows 7 Home Premium and graphics card is NVIDIA Geforce GT 555M ... I downloaded the install folders from this website because I don't have a computer to install the game disc on. I joined the 3 folders using HJSPLIT, and extracted them to the Hype - The Time Quest Installation folder. I set the compatibility to windows 2000 and got MAID3DVR_BLEU.exe to launch. I clicked new game, it loaded quickly, it automatically skipped the intro cut scene (because the install folders provided on this website have already modified the ub.ini file?) and it had black graphical gltiches. about 30 seconds into Gogood talking the game crashed. I tried it in other compatibility settings such as windows 98/me and windows 95 and they all had identical results. 

I then downloaded and installed nglide. I'm not entirely sure how nglide works but I found the glide3x.dll file in C:\Windows\sysWOW64 and copied it to the Hype - The Time Quest install folder, but there was already a file in the Hype - The Time Quest install folder named glide3x.dll. Am I supposed to replace this file? I left both in the install folder.

I tried to launch the MAIDFXVR_BLEU.exe and it would only show me the 3DFX video then crash. I installed the patch ( I guess? when I double clicked it it opened the console for half a second and closed) and it doesn't change a thing :( I have messed with the compatibility options as this page says, but to no avail :(. When I use windows 95 or windows 98/Me, it will slow down my computer and it takes close to 5 minutes just to close it. 

I'm not sure what to do! Is my graphics card simply too modern to play 16 bit?

Thanks in advance :)

May 7, 2013 at 12:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

1) Yes you're supposed to replace the file

2)I believe that the installed folders are already patched, however you have to install both provided folders in C:\ .  One *replaces* your windows folder (it actually doesn't, it just adds the patched ubisoft install folder)

Ok so here's a few more things you can try

CHECK if the Ubisoft folder is in C:\Windows\

Check the file C:\Windows\Ubisoft\ubi.ini and look for

PlayVideo = 0 line under [Hype - The Time Quest]

If it's not there, just add it. If it's set to 1, set it to 0

The 3DFX logo used to make my Hype app crash on my older computer. Just open nGlide's Configurator and turn off the Splash screen.

See if any of these work for you, SPECIALLY the glide3x.dll thing. Also, I believe you can get it from another location as well (System or System32)...if it fails, try the ones in these folders, if you have glide3x in them.

--

May 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

And hey, please report back if it does work, so that I can post it up as an official solution

--

May 8, 2013 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Needafire

Hello there,

Last time I played Hype was years ago on my grandpa's computer. Now I tried to install it on my laptop using the tips from this site (copy installation folder from 32-bit computer, install nGlide, extract glide3x.dll to installation folder, install and run the patch). When I run the game (using MaiD3Dvr_bleu or the MaiDFXvr_bleu) I see the logo of Ubisoft with a loading bar under it. When it finished loading the main menu appears. When I start a new game everything looks normal until Gogoud appears. Then black squares cover more than half of the screen. As the scene continues, the squares appear and disappear. When Gogoud finished talking the squares cover almost my entire screen, the only place where you can see something is the upper sixth part of the screen. I tried loading a saved game (from my grandpa's computer), but the screen is also almost entirely black (upper sixth and some squares here and there are not black, but that's it). Sound is fine.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Dual-Core C60 up to 1.33 GHz, 2 GB RAM, GPU AMD Radeon HD 6290 Graphics (400 MHz, 878 MB).

When I try to find the nGlide configurator my computer doesn't come up with anything (I believe the version is 1.01). When I look in C:\Windows I can't find the Ubisoft folder.

Can anyone help me?

May 16, 2013 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

1) Black squares mean you're NOT playing MaiDFXvr_bleu.exe. This bug isn't present in this .exe

2)IF you have installed nGlide, search for "Configurator" only. It's the name of the software in the Start menu.

3)The "C:\Windows\Ubisoft" folder should have been copied from the original machine as well. However, if your game runs without it, try at least creating C:\Windows\Ubisoft and paste this file inside of it

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?v8vb34cei5v2a5c

Then run the game using the MaiDFXvr file. If it still doesn't work, just come back.

--

May 17, 2013 at 5:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Needafire
I'll try and see if that works. Thank you!
May 18, 2013 at 8:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

You're mostly welcome : )

--

May 18, 2013 at 11:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Needafire

I guess I probably clicked wrong when trying to launch with MaiDFXvr_bleu.exe, so I tried again making sure I clicked right. An error window popped up saying something was wrong with Glide 3.01 (can't remember what exactly, if someone wants to know I can look it up). I googled Glide 3.01 and decided the problem was with the glide3x.dll file. When checking if the file was present in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 I found the file, but it was 1280 KB while the one in C:\Windows\System32 was 407 KB. I replaced the driver I had copied to the installation folder (the 407 KB one) with the 1280 KB one and tried launching the game. It worked perfectly! :D (Well, no Playmobil interactive intro and no Gogoud giving the introduction to the beginning of the story, but I'm glad it works.) 

Moonlighter, many thanks for helping me out (and for creating this site in the first place). The only other places where you could discuss and ask around about this game were probably abandoned years ago.

One more little question: could somebody tell me how to watch the cutscenes at the beginning and the end of the game? I can watch them on YouTube, of course, but I'd find it interesting to find out how you can find and play them. Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Oooh what do you mean?
You can't really watch the video ingame...at least not the intro one. I believe the ending sequence still plays noramlly despite of the Playvideo = 0 thingy.

In your pc, they are located in

C:\Ubisoft\Hype - The Time Quest\Gamedata\Videos

You can play them using quicktime. You'll most likely need to install this plugin

http://www.moviecodec.com/download-video-codecs/indeo-video-5-plugin-for-quicktime-for-windows-360/

to play them

Hope I have helped : )
And it's great that you are now able to play this amaaazing game : )

--

May 20, 2013 at 11:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Laamanen7

Hey, so I have a problem: My computer has win7 64bit, so I cant run the installer of the iso.file. I downloaded the "installed files", joined them to make a rar.-file, but when I try to extract them to C/, there are some files that give errors, so I cant extract them. 
And even if I somehow managed to extract them, how would I launch the game? 
If anyone has some solution or instructions for me, that would be great, because I would love to play this game again so much!

--

Hullu paljon työtä tekee, viisas pääsee vähemmällä.

June 5, 2013 at 9:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Ok so here's the thing:

1)You'll extract the folders present in the rar file to C:\ .

2)You'll either burn the iso file to a disc, use your original disc or use some virtual drive software (eg. Daemon Tools) to emulate the disc image

3) You'll open C:\Ubisoft\Hype - The Time Quest\ and run MAIDFX_BLEU.exe

Try extracting the folder to other location. If it suceeds, it's probably because of your UAC settings. In this case, you won't be able to replace the Windows folder directly, so you'll need to copy Hype - The Time Quest to C:\Ubisoft\ and  the "Ubisoft" folder in (zipfile\windows\ubisoft) to C:\Windows.

If it still doesn't work, lemme know.

--

June 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Laamanen7

My problem is not the mounting of the iso.file. When the setup did not work I tried to download the iso from different source (this site was third), and when I couldnt get it work I knew the problem was that my system is 64bit. 
Unfortunately I found out that the setup did not open even with 32bit system. After I had given up I found this site, followed the insturctions, downloaded the "installed files" (3 files), joined them with HJSPLIT, and tried to extract them to C:, which of course failed. And the problem is that when I try to extract the rar. file (to any folder), at the end of extraction winrar displays these to error messages: 
"C:/users/........./HYPE_FOLDERS.rar: CRC failed in HYPE/Hype - The Time Quest/GAmedata/World/Sound/Bnk_155-bnm. The file is corrupt"

and

"C:/......../Unexpected end of archive"

Now I´ve tried to download these 3 files again, and I have mounted 3 different "torrent files" of hype, but still without success. So since the problem is not with operating system, or the iso file, it must be with the "installed files", which I downloaded here. According to you, I could get time quest to work, IF I used the installed files, but the problem I have now, is that I cannot extract these files to C: , or any other folder.

Sorry, this message became way too long : D

--

June 6, 2013 at 8:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Lmao no problem. You better give me a long, but accurate descrpition of the problem than a short note that doesn't really say anything. But well, plenty of people were already able to install Hype from the files I provided. I didn't re-upload them or anything, so I know the files I uploaded are perfect. Now, there are two possibilities:

a) Your downloads are getting corrupt (try disabling download accelerators\managers)
b)You are joining the wrong files...

Let's say...if any of your downloads failed, but are still on the folder, and you re-downloaded them, there's a possibility the correct file is renamed to "Hype_folders.001(1).rar". Then, HJsplit may join the unfinished file and that's why you're getting an error message.

In this case, first of all make sure none of your files are unfinished or renamed @ the end. Then, create a clean folder, move the 3 source files onto it and join them, then try extracting them. If it still fails, I'll have to ask you to download the files again, putting all of them in a clean folder.

If you want personal assitance, you may contact me via skype

it's rafaeltsd .

--

June 6, 2013 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Laamanen7

So the problem was solved by downloading the installed files into a clean folder, so now I can  actually run the game.
It still crashes after the intro videos (during the loading with ubisoft logo). I tried to change the "show video-value to 0, but it did not change anything. But I hope the game actually starts when I try it with a 32bit windows. So thank you so much! The level of nostalgic pleasure is going to be unbelievable when I get this thing to work!!

--

June 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Good! : )
And that's actually easy to solve!
Have you installed nGlide? You'll only be able to play Hype through the

MAILDFX_BLEU.exe version, which requires nGlide. After that, go to

C:\Windows\Ubisoft\ubi.ini and change

[Hype - The Time QUest]

Playvideo = 1

to

[Hype - The Time QUest]

Playvideo = 1

It HAS to work ; )

--

June 8, 2013 at 11:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Orangefishboy

I installed the game on a computer running windows XP, and have successfully moved it to my Windows 7 64 bit computer. I also downloaded nglide, and moved glide3x.dll into the Hype folder from SysWOW64. I read that it might work to move it from System32 instead, but when I downloaded and installed it, it did not install to there, only to SysWOW64. I am able to open the game using MaiDFXvr_bleu, but it just goes to a black screen, and doesn't respond. If I attempt to open MaiD3Dvr_bleu instead, the starting music plays, and then the Ubisoft screen with the loading bar shows, but the bar goes straight to halfway and then stops and doesn't move anymore. Also, if I go into C:Windows>Ubisoft and open ubi.ini, the playvideo line isn't there either. Any idea what's wrong?

July 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Hello!
Check to see if you got the [Hype - The Time Quest] line. If Yes, just add playvideo = 0 under it.

Check if you can play now, with playvideo = 0. As for glide3x, copy it into Hype's directory, system 32 and SysWow64. If the glide version of Hype still doesn't work, come back.

--

July 30, 2013 at 9:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Orangefishboy

I was able to copy the glide3x file into system32, but there is no Hype - The Time Quest line in ubi.ini either.

July 30, 2013 at 10:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.