Hype
The Time Quest Forever

hype the time quest, zelda answer, pc games, medieval, playmobil, lego,playmobil interactive, taskan ,gogoud ,vibe ,knight ,fansite,hype,

The Inn (Forum)

Forum Home > General Discussion > Speedrunning Hype

Sarick

I've recently started doing some attempts at speedrunning Hype: The Time Quest. A lot of my runs have either died from deaths without saving or the game completely crashing so the run I'm linking is the first successful completed one (besides my practice run).

So far my personal best time is 2:54:00:02.

My Run: http://www.twitch.tv/sarick/c/2983766

Apologies that the video quality isn't the greatest, I live in the middle of nowhere in Australia so my internet isn't really capable of much more.

The run itself has a lot of room for improvement, lots of messing up in the jumping sections and even a death late into the run. Some bosses also go horribly like Rajoth (if you beat him without taking damage you get a blue potion and two purple so having a good Rajoth fight helps a lot).

Anyway I figured that the run might interest some of you, and it'd be great to see some more people run the game.

--

Occasional Hype Speedruns: www.twitch.tv/sarick

PB: 2:35:33.58

September 24, 2013 at 11:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sarick

Decided to do another run because I knew I had a lot to improve in the last one. Ended up deathless. I have a lot of issues getting and defeating Rajoth though. Also a really horrible Senekal fight and Barnak doesn't ever give up.

Link to the run: http://www.twitch.tv/sarick/c/2988716

--

Occasional Hype Speedruns: www.twitch.tv/sarick

PB: 2:35:33.58

September 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Moonlighter
Site Owner

Oooh this is awesome!

I feel kinda sad that Hype can be completed in such a small amount of time....I guess I'd never be able to do this, since I always stop and watch the beautiful landscape and general game beauty...but, you're awesome!

--

Ha, it's human nature - Zatila

September 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MothBallFamicom

Moonlighter it's only a question of retry. Play Hype over and over and you could do that. I tink the WR is down to 2h13 or something like this so Sarick is the 2th in the world! This is realy good. I an not colse to this as of now... I will finsh that speed run one day. Maby this saterday. Will try it tho.

Sarick Realy good time!

April 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

As I see you can fight well against Senekal and Barnak and you don't need 5 mauve potions to cope it (like in other gameplays that I saw on YouTube). I find another challenge interesting too: to win the whole game without taking any potions, herbs, magic nuts, and without visits to blacksmith. Then you cure and charge magic only when you get jewel. Armour is restored in restore-points only (3 in game).

For people interested in hardcore challenges I recommend my mod: http://hypeforever.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12823390-hype-challenge-a-difficult-version-of-hype-for-masters-. It allows to win the game (a bit shortened) without jewels, so Hype's sword doesn't become stronger and therefore you have to hit enemies more that 3 times like normally (in era of Taskan IV it's even 20 times). And Hype's limit of leben doesn't grow up too (if your armour is totally destructed, an enemy in era of Taskan IV kills Hype after 2 hits :/ ).

--

WWW: Twitch, YouTube
Speedruns: Any% - 1:54:31 (WR), Gee% - 17:53 (WR)

April 21, 2014 at 1:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

Time 2:13:47 is really good, close to the limit allowed by game without codes. Now you can squeeze last seconds out only :) .

April 21, 2014 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Salem Vendari

Sarick, how about a speed run that involves completing every aspect of the game? I'd love to see how fast you can do that.  This would include taking out all beehives, completing all races, and finding all magic spells.

I enjoyed watching your speedrun video, though, by the way. I didn't know you could leave Gogoud's manor without his key. I tried emulating you, and I just can't do it.

April 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

Sarick uses difficult possibility of jump to skip the tutorial. This movie (by MkayIndianaJones) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90J7e_cGBao ; includes more easy way to do it, this should you cope without problem.

--

April 24, 2014 at 3:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Salem Vendari

Thanks for that, Darnok.

April 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Salem Vendari

So, I just attempted to speedrun Hype myself (yes, I skipped the tutorial by hopping over the fence, which took up two minutes). Unfortunately, I didn't notice that, for whatever reason, Hype didn't have ANY magic points until I had to fight Rajoth and couldn't use Magia Glacia: Trinity. I tried using the Yellow Herb I picked up in Enost's cell, but it wouldn't do anything. Was I missing something?

For the record, my time after beating Rajoth was around 30-31 minutes. Not bad, but definitely not as good as Sarick lol

May 10, 2014 at 3:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

When you take Magia Glacia Trinity, it's not selected. You must press DEL once to select "next" kind of magic (in your case the only one, you have)

--

May 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Salem Vendari

OOOOOH!!!! Thanks Darnok!

Sarick, what's the program you use to time yourself?

May 11, 2014 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Findus

Hey guys,
I've been improving Sarick's efforts on running Hype.
This is not really news, since my best run is months old and some might have stumbled over it, but I guess it would be nice to mention it on here as well. 

So I beat Hype in 2:09:06 - my sum of best segments is 2:05:13 and I am very certain that you could even finish it slightly faster than that. With the strategies I used up to this point I would say it is not possible to go below the 2 hour mark - but then again the huge gap between my PB and SoB shows that I am far from having an 'optimized' run and that there might be more ways to save time that I just don't yet know about. 
After getting my current record I did take a break, due to the game soaking up too much time - I did have trouble finding the motivation to go back at running it so far.. 

What I have found myself motivated to do instead is running the Game Boy Color version that maybe one or two of you know. I'm far from a perfect time, just had a lot of fun playing through it fast without resetting too much. Personal Best is a 32:33 but I am very likely to beat that soon. Did not look for any glitches yet, just exploited some unusual boss behaviours - so no idea how fast it might get. I'm hoping for getting it below 30 minutes. 

Anyways, so much for the update.
It's nice to still see people still care about this little game. 

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention this. I made a post on the SpeedDemosArchive forums when I started researching / running the game. The information in there is not 100% complete anymore but I'd say it still about 90% of it in there.

August 8, 2014 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Findus

Doublepost because I borked the edit function. 

This is the correct link: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/hype_the_time_quest_.html ;

Also note that I will update all information on there once I get back into the game again. I just don't know when that will be.

August 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

Well guys, I have tried my own speedrun any% and managed to win it in 2:04:52. I made a few mistakes there, so I might to still able to beat it even to 2:03:00.

I don't know to be honest, whether it will be anytime possible to beat under 2:00:00, this is a dream of everyone, but it would require new glitches etc. But experience has taught me that it is never to say that everything was discovered ;)

--

July 8, 2015 at 1:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Findus

Congratz! Really glad you did a run.

July 9, 2015 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

Well guys, I made new run and WR of 2:02:09!

--

July 15, 2015 at 5:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

I have just got 2:00:28 (new WR) and I am preparing to do it under 2 hours!

--

August 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

hype1998

Best of luck in breaking 2 hours. Unless some other major shortcut is discovered I think that we've practically reached the limit of what is possible, although then again that's what we said two years ago and now more than 35 minutes has been cut off of the record time! I hope that you're succesful in completing this milestone, and perhaps in a few years we will be able to get another half an hour faster still!

--

"One more mistake and I'll execute you myself! With a spoon, so that it takes longer!!!" 

-Taskan I

August 7, 2015 at 8:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Darnok_PL

Well I have a great, great, great pleasure to inform that I have just got 1:59:51, so I have just made a first run of HTTQ under 2 hours in the World. So I have a great pleasure to answer your questions, whether it was possible or not - this is possible and I have just proved it!

My SoB is 1:58:34 now, if it is still interesting for anyone.

Thank to all of speedrunner that gave me numerous tricks, skips, glitches etc. that I haven't found myself. Especially thanks to Findus, who has written article with tips and made forum. I thank Sarick and Musicontrol too for works on skips and tricks, and of course I thank MothBallFamicom, who has encouraged me to play speedruns.

I haven't though, this game is so funny while running (although it is often annoying, if you make fails) :).

--

August 8, 2015 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.